Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Thoughts on motherhood 19 May 2008

I love being a mom. It has been the most incredible thing in my life. My children, who are 25, 27, soon to be 29 and 31, are the most precious things in my life. There isn't anything I wouldn't do for them or try, short of being illegal, but I doubt they would ask me to do anything like that.


There were many challenges, trials (literally), joys, and blessings, but always LOVE. I never thought that siblings could love each other. I never experienced that in my life (yet) and I am always thrilled to see and hear how much my kids love each other. They are concerned about each other. They care for each other. They love each other.


I would love to know one thing I taught them that has been the most important to each of them. It would be interesting. I would love to know what they really think of me.


I am blessed to have been a part of literally thousands of other children's lives. Working in schools for 18 years has given me the opportunity to touch the lives of so many children. Some of them had abusive home lives, and would cling to me. Others couldn't find ways to talk to their moms (or dads), but could talk to me. The things I've heard have been sad at times, and hard to listen too. Some of them have actually said they hate their mothers. I found that truly sad. I told a kindergarten class that I loved children, and a little boy asked if I loved him. I told him yes...he said, "no one has ever said that to me." Why are some of these parents now days having children, and then not loving them, teaching them, spending time with them, or expressing that they are the most important things to them. More important than i-pods, video games, sports, or other things that take their place. I see mothers in the stores with their children and I am appalled at the ways in which they not only treat their children, but the words they use. I have been hurt to the core by some of the things I have heard. I am an adult, and my heart aches for what these tender hearts have heard and gone through.


Love your children. I am soooo very blessed. My children are my life. I probably should have put this on a blog, but I didn't think anyone would take the time to go to a blog. Let me know if you read blogs, and I will put more there.


For all of you my friends, who have touched the life of a child, Have a GREAT day!!!
My children...with a new one. Soon I will have a Katie also.

No comments:

Post a Comment