Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Family, friendship, and friends

So, where to begin. Well, last night the comment was made, by one of my friends, " that I have a LOT of friends". Now, by most standards, that being "friends" my age, I'm sure I do have a LOT of friends on here. BUT, by the standards of some of my friends, that may not be true. There are some who have over a thousand!!! HOLY COW!!!
How did I get SO many friends? I pondered this for awhile, but not long. It really didn't take a LOT of thinking. WHICH was a darn good thing! I'm not a relic, or as old as a dinosaur, but I'm older than most of my "friends" on here.
So, where did they all come from? I seem to have this myriad of "friends." My first friends here on Facebook were, of course, my children. I probably wouldn't even have gotten on here, but for them. Checking out their photos,lives, etc. Moms do that when they don't live close. AND now I'm friends with their friends...
Next group. I've moved a LOT in my life, and gathered some friends here and some there. When I say a LOT, what I mean is, I lived in at least 15 different houses, and went to 14 different school...Unless you count college. Since some of them are fellow students from MWSU, I guess we'd better. So, that's 15 different educational establishments. OH wait. I also went to COW TECH!!! Pierce College, or Winnetka Tech! =D I know there are "friends" out there smiling at that! While I don't know where ALL of those "friends" are, I have found many. One friend, who I knew in high school, read one of my notes and found that we went to 1st grade together! WOW!!! AND the schools weren't even in the same state! In fact, we went to 1st grade at Kailua Elementary School in Hawaii and then both graduated from Agoura High School in California. SMALL world. Maybe if I keep searching, I will find even more friends from my past.
Working in a high school, you become "friends" with many of the students. In fact, the more they "need" your help with research, etc., the more they become your "friend". AND I have enjoyed working with ALL of them. We don't chat or talk often, but I read their posts and check out what they are doing. Some have gone on to colleges and universities. Some have families of their own. Some play pro football! They are doing ALL kinds of things and it's so fun to watch them grow and do things. I love it.
Some of these "friends" are still students. I do a LOT of substitute teaching, and several of the students wanted to be my "friend." I feel like I'm starting to sound like Mr. Rogers!
Many of my "friends" are my church friends. Since I belong to a world wide church, I have friends everywhere. Every time we moved, or I moved, going to church would bring new friends. Some of them I also went to school with. I'm also friends with some of their mothers, or their children in some cases! The church is like my second family. WELL, actually they are far more closer than family even. NOT my children, but sibling...we'll just leave that alone.
I have friends who were my professors! That's been fun.
Friends who are or were co-workers, either from Michaels Arts & Crafts, or schools I've worked in, or "ARVEY Paper and Office Products...how can I help you?" And other places as well.
Some of my "friends" are FAMILY! Cousins, second cousins, cousins once or twice removed. Aunts, nieces, nephews, ETC!!! I also have a daughter and son in-law. I'm "friends" with some of their family members.
SOME of my friends are relatives of my ex-husband! Or Ex-boyfriends. How weird is that?! One was the first wife of my ex-brother-in-law.
Sometimes when it asks for the relationship between you and a friend...well, let's just say that sometimes it's REALLY COMPLICATED!!!!!!! I mean REALLY!!!
My "friends" include all of the above people, but are not limited to just those groups. I have read other "friends'" walls, and made comments. There are times when my "friends" friends ask to be my friend! "Would you like to be my friend?" OR Farmtown..."Won't you be my neighbor?"
So, where am I going with all of these "friends"? I don't know. BUT I got to thinking about all of these people the last few nights. Why do we have friends? I don't even see some of these people. BUT out of the blue, one of them...a student or past student...will see I'm on, say HI and chat for a few minutes, or ask how to do a certain assignment. OR a formula for math. I chatted with one of my friends who is on a mission with her husband...in Croatia! It's AWESOME! I've probably chatted with you!!!
Friends are AWESOME people. I'm sure all of you have gotten emails about what friends are, what they do, what they will do, etc. I was separated for about five years. During that time there were eight of my friends, a few of them are on here, or their kids are, who helped me through an incredibly HARD time in my life. I had four little children, and they made SURE, for years, that I went out at least once a month. "The Eight of Us" and we were formerly known, would go eat and then go to a movie. THEN we decided to be "secret sisters" and draw names every Christmas. Then during the next year, each month we would do special things for that "secret sister when we would get together. They got me through that hard time.
There are several of my "friends" on here who helped me through hard times, special times, horrible times. There are friends on here who too classes with me and studied with me. There are friends on here I have NEVER even met. BUT have gotten to know. Ohhhhhhh...and then there are the guy friends that I had such crushes on... =D Sorry...no names!
Friends are interesting, fun, compassionate, silly, goofy, serious, caring, concerned, loving...and the list goes on.
Here I am...I have never smoked, done "drugs" or imbibed in alcohol. I am what they would have called "accomplished" in the Jane Austin Era. I paint, draw, play the piano (guitar and KAZOO!!! WOOHOO), knit, crochet, embroider, crewel, quilt, garden, build things, bake and cook. I love sports...playing them and watching them. I LOVE FAST cars. Not so much fast guys! ;) I love animals, ALL kinds of animals. Well, not so much opossums. They ARE VERY UGLY. I LOVE cowboys, riding horses, and dressing like a cowboy. I'll even say that I like to line dance. BUT I draw the line at country music. So sue me! Laughing out loud can be heard here!!! =D I do love to dance though. Salsa, Ballroom, Swing, etc. I am a DANCING FOOL! Or just a fool...BUT I LOVE life and LOVE to have fun, sans the booze, smoke and drugs. I love to play games; board games of all sorts, card games, puzzles, crossword, sudoku, you name it. I love it. I love to read. I love to write poetry, stories, notes, lists, letters to people. YEAH...the kind you put in an envelope, address it, put a stamp on it and stick it in a mail box. AND then the mailman or mail woman (we must be politically correct...NOT) picks it up and off it goes. AND by the way, I always remember the mail person when I bake! Especially at Christmas. After all, we're "friends" too. =D I love to quilt and sew. I don't just mean sew a button on. I mean SEW! I have designed clothes, costumes, etc. for years. I made a lined coat when I was 14. It was awesome. I made my clothes when I was in jr. high and high school. Much to the dismay of my children, I made matching outfits for holidays. I just found out they weren't too keen on that. OH well! What can you do. The pictures are cute though. They smiled dutifully. I love to tinker with cars. I've helped to rebuild many an engine. I know engines, trannys, etc. Love going to car races. Love the whine of a blower and the purr of strong engine. Nothing beats the sound of a Harley! I'm sure there's more that I love. Children. Love em! Traveling...want to. I love to learn. Love education. Most all music...not so much country...did I say that. I'm sure I did. =D I love to decorate. I love to scrapbook. I do genealogy. I am VERY religious. I live my religion 24 hours a day. My beliefs are what make me ME! Betcha didn't know that...or maybe some of you did.
Do ALL of my friends do ALL of these things??? GADS NO!!! Most of them don't do half of this. Some can't even believe that I do all of this. BUT I do. Does it hurt our friendship? I don't think so. If anything it enriches our friendships. Some of my friends quilt. Some do genealogy. Some scrapbook. Some sew. Some garden. I have things in common with most of my friends.
What are friends? They are people. Some are "like" family, even though they aren't. Some friends you talk to the same way you would talk to your family. Sadly, some friends you talk to "BETTER" than you would talk to your family! Nicer...I'm sure you know what I mean. You say what you want to friends.
True friends tolerate us. For the most part. They know our foibles, relate, and overlook things. They accept you...and you accept them. THAT'S what makes it work. Sometimes you share a lot of commonalities, sometimes only one or two. I have friends who are vegetarian. Do they get on me when I eat a meat. NO. I have friends who are of many different religious backgrounds: Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, etc. I have many friends who do NOT believe in God. I have some who believe in "a" God, but they are unsure of anything after that. If we talk religion, it's because they ask. I answer. Religion fascinates me. There are things about the Buddhist religion that I love. There are things about other religions that I can appreciate. Some of those things strengthen my own beliefs.
We learn from each other. We have all had MANY "life" experiences. We have learned lessons that have helped us to move on. We have learned, sometimes the hard way. I have learned things I NEVER thought I would have to learn. I find it hard to look back sometimes and visualize things I've been through. But we get through them...we learn from them. AND then because we LOVE our friends, sometimes when we see them going through things that we have gone through, we share. Sharing is a good thing. Especially if it's mutual! We share because we LOVE. We share because we care. We share because we DON'T want them to get hurt like we did. It is our compassion for our friends that sometimes puts us in positions of compromise. Do we share because we love and care...taking a chance. Or do we keep quiet...waiting...hoping..
.that they don't have to go through what we went through. I know in raising and teaching children, that I have learned a lot about child raising. Some days I see parents and children and I just want to say.....but I refrain. AND I think...should I butt in? Should I just let them find out where that's going to lead? It's a tough call...There are a LOT of tough calls in life, and in friendships. Do I? Don't I? Hmmmm.....
We don't judge each other. We accept. OR we don't. Another tough call. We help when asked. We do things sometimes because we feel like it.
Friends are there when you need them. Sometimes they are there when you don't! You have friendships because you LOVE that certain person. Or at least like them a lot. Friendships bond people for many reasons and in many ways.
Yes, I'm glad I have a lot of friends. I feel incredibly blessed that so many people what to be my friend or are my friend.
I think I put this poem in another note, but it's worth repeating...
by Linda Ellis

I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
From the beginning to the end

He noted that first came her date of her birth
And spoke the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years

For that dash represents all the time
That she spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved her
Know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not how much we own;
The cars, the house, the cash,
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard.
Are there things you’d like to change?
For you never know how much time is left,
That can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough
To consider what’s true and real
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we’ve never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect,
And more often wear a smile
Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy is being read
With your life’s actions to rehash
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent your dash?

My friendships are one of the biggest blessings in my life. I appreciate all of my friendships. Life is too short. Appreciate your friends. Love your friends. Forgive your friends when and if there is ever a time that you should. Cherish your friends.
Like I said in the beginning. I won't tag any friends...I'd have to tag you ALL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment