Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Faith 21 January 2009

Faith…
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1
And now as I said concerning faith—faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true. Alma 32:21
I just finished watching Fiddler on the Roof. I think I may have seen parts of it years ago. I’ve sung the songs many times. But, tonight I watched it. As I watched it, many things came to my mind. Some of those things were obvious; others not so much. The similarities between this movie and the story, hit very close to home. In the 1830’s through the 1850’s here in America, religious persecution took place. Thousands were forced from there homes in much the same way that Tevye, his family and neighbors were forced from their homes in Anatevka. In some places, Far West, Missouri…Adam-Ondi-Ahman, Missouri…Haun’s Mill, Missouri, nothing is left of the towns where thousands were forced out of there homes in the middle of winter. Beautiful Nauvoo, Illinois has been restored into a wonderful historic site, where at one time it was the largest city in Illinois. Mobs forced the citizens of this town out in the 1840’s, again in winter. The stories of these faithful people are heartwarming and faith promoting. As I watched Fiddler on the Roof, and these people were told they had to leave, I was reminded of the many times the saints were told to leave there homes. They too, packed what they could carry and left. Not understanding why, only knowing that they had to leave; all because of their great faith. As Tevye and his family were preparing to leave, his wife, Golde, went back to sweep the house. Not that it mattered anymore, she would never return, but she couldn’t leave a “dirty” house. I was reminded of the journal entry of Bathsheba Smith in 1846 as she was leaving Nauvoo, Illinois, "My last act in that precious spot was to tidy the rooms, sweep up the floor, and set the broom in its accustomed place behind the door. Then with emotions in my heart...I gently closed the door and faced unknown future; faced it with faith in God and with no less assurance of the ultimate establishment of the Gospel in the West and of its true enduring principles, than I had felt in those trying scenes in Missouri."
I have faith. Maybe not as great as some of these people, but it is great the older I get, and the more I am asked to go through, the more that faith grows. Our faith is tested daily; some believe…others do not. I try to understand this, and only know that it is because we are free to choose. All of us are free to choose. I respect that right to choose. I look at the faith of others who have gone before me. They may or may not have had the same beliefs; Jews, Muslims, Christians…but they had a faith. They possessed a faith which moved them everyday to meet the challenges of being different; having a faith when others didn’t. Many have died because of their great faith. Many have suffered persecution. Many still do. Now, I have not been shot at, or forced from my home or anything like that. I have not suffered great persecution, as others have; but I have been wronged for my beliefs. Oddly enough, because I believe in Joseph Smith, I was denied a job by a prominent “Christian” lawyer in St. Joseph, Missouri. I have been told by other “Christians” that I “am going to hell” because of what I believe. I was told that I am “a horrible mother” because of the way I “brought my children up—brainwashing them into believing what they believe.” I have been ostracized because of my religion. My children had friends who were not allowed to be with them when their friends’ parents found out what church they belonged to. Has this shaken my faith? No, most of the time it has only strengthened it.
I am so thankful for the faith I have. My faith has brought me through some incredibly difficult times. My beliefs are so special to me. My beliefs are what have made me who I am. I know who I am; I know where I came from, and I know where I am going. I know that God lives. I know he hears and answers prayers. I know that I can receive personal revelation. I know He loves me, cares about me and lifts me. I know He has a son who died for me…for everyone…whether they believe in Him or not. I know of the GREAT sacrifice the Son of God paid for me…for you. You don’t have to accept these beliefs. You were given that freedom. But I believe. I have faith. I know. I know Christ lived. I know He died. I know that He rose from the dead. I know we will live and die and rise again…just as He did. I know there is a living Prophet on the earth today. I know God would not leave us with out one. I know that Prophet receives revelations today, just as the Prophets of old. I know that God has a great plan and we are all a part of it. Each of us has a part in that great plan. He knows all, sees all and doesn’t miss a beat. I have seen miracles. I have been a part of miracles. I have a great faith. Yes, I am thankful for the faith I have. I am secure in my faith. Some are skeptical, but I am not. I know. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt. I don’t have to see…I know.
By the way...if you haven't seen Fiddler on the Roof, watch it. It's great!

No comments:

Post a Comment