Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Children 12 January 2009

I have four. Two boys, Mike and Bobby. Two girls, Jenny and Jessica. They were/are perfect. Not angels, just perfect. Yes, I'm biased and so I can say that. They aren't children anymore, per se. They are all adults, with lives of their own. They have taken what life has handed them and made the most of it. Life was very kind to them in the beginning, but shortly thereafter, took a huge turn. They hung on, took the white knuckle ride and made it...They didn't always keep their arms or legs inside the vehicle. In fact, more often than not, they stuck them out on purpose just to see what would happen. Sometimes it worked out...sometimes not. That's when the little joy ride became the ride from hell and back. Yeah...we had several of those. But, we made it. They were rarely the children who tested the water...NO! They were the ones who jumped in no matter what. They still are. Sometimes it scares me to death. But, I have learned to live with it.
As little children, they had everything. I don't think they wanted for anything. They had more toys than Toys "R" Us and their friends were always at the house. There were always children cavorting in and around our home. As they grew, their friends still liked visiting our home. They even had friends who would come over whether they were there or not. Just to talk to me...because, "they could talk to me where they couldn't talk to their mom." I always found that interesting. They would tell me all sorts of things and I would just sit and listen. I was always glad that their friends felt comfortable in our home and around me.
All of them have been blessed with many talents and gifts...I am sure they inherited them from both parents as their dad and I were both blessed with many talents and gifts...thus passing on the legacy. I'm not boasting, or bragging. God did bless me, or rather made me a steward of many talents. I have used them extensively in raising my children and helping others.
Except for Jessica, they are afraid of nothing. Well, nothing that I know of. Although I don't think any of them do scary movies. But, I could be wrong. They have enough self-confidence in themselves to do things others only wish they could do. They are not afraid to try. If they bomb...they get up and figure out what went wrong and fix it.
As a very (and I mean VERY!) biased mother, I am going to say the girls are VERY beautiful and the boys are incredibly handsome. They do not see what I see. They only see what they see. I see them not for what they look like on the outside. I see far more than that. I know there hearts. I rarely see the outside anymore. I see it, but it is not my focus. I look further than that. I look beyond each physical being. When you carry a child for nine months, or longer, as I did, you know that child. You know everything about them. You know every move and sound each one makes. Each one comes in the door differently; opens the cabinets differently. Slams things differently. Sneaks up on you differently. Oddly enough, each has their own silence. There are sounds that they don't even realize they do, and I know who it is. Each has their own spirit that I can feel. I see and feel what no one else does. I can tell when something is wrong. I can tell when they are upset. The eerie thing is, I could tell when I was several states away. It is a sense that only a mother has. I could be thinking of one of them, and they would call. Or I would be thinking about one of them and call them. They would answer and say they were thinking about me. A mother can and does have another sense when it comes to her children. The bond is incredible.
I might add that I legally gained two other children this year. Another very beautiful girl, Katie and another handsome guy, Jason. Another handsome guy, John, is waiting in the wings. I don't know if he is afraid to join our incredibly zany, crazy family or what. But none-the-less, he quietly watches us. At times I wonder what he thinks, and then there are times when I can pretty much guess what he's thinking and really do not want to know. I couldn't love these three any more than if they were my own. They have been equally wonderful to me. I am so glad they are a part of my life.
My children have truly been the biggest blessing in my life. OH, there have been challenges. Huge challenges. But they are always outweighed by the joys and blessings. I have never regretted having my children. A neighbor said to me one time when talking about her daughter and my youngest son, "I know what it is like to have a child who is a liability." I was dumbfounded. I have never thought of any of my children as a liability. I was sad for her. I was sad for her daughter. I wrote to the daughter and told her how impressed I was that she has struggled with choices and was working hard to make things right. So, yes, I have been through many challenges and trials with my children. They have taught me more than they will ever know. They are still teaching me...and I am still teaching them.
I watch them and at times wonder if they really know just how important they are. If they realize and understand their purpose. I watch them when they are together and marvel that they get along so well, and always have. Yes, there were squabbles now and then, but they always hug each other. They always tell each other, "I love you" and you can tell they truly do. They care about each other. They would do anything for each other.
If they read this, which I'm sure a couple of them will, I want them to know that I love them. I love them more than anything or anyone. I am glad they chose to be my children; that they picked me to be their mother. I am grateful for the things they so willingly do for me. For their generous nature. For their compassion and their kind words. I know I am not the easiest person to be around. I may be a lot of fun, but I am "trying." I try their patience to the breaking point and beyond. Sometimes the more I try not to be trying, the more trying I become. So, to you my children, THANKS! Thanks for loving me and allowing me to love you. You are the best! You are awesome! You are beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment