Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cultures and Crafts and Character...ALL with "flaws" 11 November 2009

After living the first eight years of my life in Hawaii with the Polynesians and their culture, we moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico. My mother became fascinated with the Native Americans, and began to collect pottery, rugs, and jewelry. The jewelry was, for the most part, Zuni. Their jewelry is very elaborate in design. The rugs were usually Navajo, but not necessarily. I was always fascinated by the rugs; each different in design and no two alike. Being a "textile" person, even as a child, I wondered about the meanings, if any to the design, and how they were made. It was here and then, as an eight year old child, that I learned something of the beliefs of these Native Americans. Each rug had a "flaw" if you will. Something that made it imperfect. I was told that the Native Americans believe in a higher being. A being who is perfect. When they make their "crafts" they intentionally put a flaw in it, as to pay homage to this great God, who is perfect. This shows that they are not yet perfect, but striving to become like God, who is perfect. They do not want to appear better than God, or perfect. So, they make their "flaw" if you will. These "flaws" as sometimes so small, they difficult to find.
As I craft, in the many ways I find to keep myself out of trouble, I am reminded of this tradition all the time. Many compliment my works. No one may see the "flaws" that are there. I know they are there. I know right where they are. I am reminded of these flaws each time I look at that piece of work. (HAHA. I've heard people say that about some things...or people. What a "piece of work"...sorry...off the track.) Sometimes the "flaws" stick out like a sore thumb. Nevertheless, I continue to craft, to push forward in perfection. The older I get, and the older the piece is, I may forget where these "flaws" are and really have to search for them.
In life, we sometimes miss the beauty of the work, looking for the "flaws" in it. We all have "flaws" in our character. NO one is with out these "flaws", whatever they may be. Sometimes they are more than apparent, other times we can not see them. A friend once said to me, If our faults or flaws "were a colored fog that surrounded us, each of us would have one." Those aren't her exact words, but close. So, as each of us meets another, don't look for the flaws...don't say with sarcasm, what a piece of work. Just look at the beauty. Give a compliment. Enjoy the work that is there. Understand that a work of perfection is in process.

No comments:

Post a Comment