Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Free Advice...November 7, 2008

So, I've decided that I must get rid of this weight that seems to be accumulating all over. Some of you will stop reading here because you think I am a nut case. FINE!!! Quit reading. BUT there is a warning for you young, skinny twigs of a person out there. I was one of those twigs. Now, I'm not going to blame this bit of flab on my kids like some people do. I weighed 105 when I graduated from HS. EGADS. That was in 1973. I did fine for a long time...eating those Double Whoppers, fries, malts, banana splits, etc. etc. People told me when I was pregnant to "NOT" gain so much. I had never had a weight problem before, why would I have one now! So, I would eat everything and anything and gain, gain, gain...until I was over 200 pounds. Yeah...that's right. But, I lost it all eventually. After I had my last baby in 1983, GADS Bobby...you are old!, I did get back down to my normal weight. BUT THE YEARS have passed...I have put on a few pounds. At first it was a pound here, a pound there. Somewhere over the last twenty-five years (NOT the rainbow), I have chalked up about forty pounds. I'm not going to say how much really, but close to two pounds a year. That doesn't sound too bad does it. Two pounds a year. But the clothes I want to wear don't fit anymore. I want to be able to not only bend over, but be able to breathe when I do it.
In August of 2005 I decided to join some of my closest friends and do the Weight Watcher thing. NO I didn't have the money to really do it, I just counted points. It was really easy and I felt a lot better. I even exercises! YUCK!!!! AND double YUCK!!! Anyway, I started to lose weight and I was inspired by it! I lost almost twenty pounds and was about five pounds from where I wanted to be. WOOHOO!!! Well, here I am three years later and I have put it all back on...and then some!!!
SO...yesterday morning I started a new regime! I am going to eat my Weight Watcher portions, exercise and think skinnier thoughts. Similar to happy thoughts, but I don't care to fly alone. :) The hardest part is the exercise. I absolutely HATE (yes, I know that is a very strong word, but I do) to exercise. I'm also starting out small. For five minutes, yes, that's FIVE minutes every morning, I put on the Doobie Brothers, (that's what I've put on the last two mornings) and I work it. Yesterday I could hardly do the five minutes, but this morning, despite the pain I was feeling in a few places, it wasn't so bad. I could do the five minutes fairly easy. So, I have my own little program going by my self and if I keep going, I believe I will see some results before too long. Let me clarify something here. I DO NOT want be that 105 lb. twig I was in my youth. 125 would be okay...even 130. BUT that's it!!!!!
I never thought when I was younger that all of those women would be right. BUT they were. Something happens to our cute little youthful bodies. I really haven't a clue as to what, and don't care. I'm just going to fight it.
There are a few things I have learned from doing this...
1. If you want to lose weight, no matter how much, just do it 5 pounds at a time. Don't keep saying, "This isn't working...I still have 600 pounds to go!!!
2. Water is very important. Something I need to do anyway. NO sodas. I don't drink them anyway. My choice, but I just don't.
3. Varied exercises is a good thing. It tricks the body. Another thing I don't understand and don't care. It just works. Five minutes here and five minutes there all can add up to the thirty minutes you should do each day. I think I'll get out my roller skates and air up the bike tire.
4. Smaller portions. Just do it.
5. Think "I am thin." NOT, "GADS, I AM SO FAT!!!" or "IF I EAT THIS I AM GOING TO GAIN SO MUCH WEIGHT!!!" You have to think positive...think thin thoughts. (WOW! Try typing that fast and correct!)
6. Eat healthy and smart.
7. Reward yourself when you lose that first five pounds. AND every five pounds after that. Don't eat a whole cake, or pie or what ever, but treat yourself.
8. If you mess up...get back up and keep going. Stuff happens.
9. Park so you have to walk.
10. Pack your lunch rather than buy one. It's healthier and cheaper. (Budgeting is another note.)
11. Don't get discouraged if the weight doesn't just fall off. It took me twenty-five years to get here, it's not going to disappear overnight. GET REAL!!! I WISH!!!
If I think of any more tips, I'll try to remember to jot them down.
Am I in pain....NO...only when I move. ;)
AND here it is May 12, 2010...I haven't lost a pound. Better get with the program!

No comments:

Post a Comment