Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Music, Moments and Memories...it doesn't get any weirder

I listen to the radio. Yep. I have a car that has NO CD player. I'm at the mercy of DJ's when I drive. BUT, it has it's bonuses. For instance, as I drive along, singing and tapping my fingers, SOMETIMES I do get out of control and actually "seat dance" as I drive, a song will come on. A song that will take me somewhere. OR some place in time.
When I was growing up, we listened to a lot of music in our home. Big Band, Classical, Jazz, and such. I love music, and music can touch me in so many ways. It is rare that a hymn, Christmas Carol, or Patriotic song doesn't make me tear up or cry. Anyway...
...as I drive along in my own little world with my thoughts and music, I have started a list of these songs.
My dad loved Harry Belafonte, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Roger Miller, and other similar artists. Some women artists such as Lena Horne.
Runaway always reminds me of my cousin Allen. He loved that song.
Debbie and I used to pretend we were going to be the next Supremes....songs like that remind me of her. They bought a Juke box from my dad in the late 60's. It was awesome. We would sing and dance and thought we were HOT!!! =D
When ever I hear Magic Carpet Ride, I think of my 8th grade Art class at Orchard Mesa Jr. High. My teacher, Mrs. West, always had the radio on in class. I loved that song. This was in 1968. I still love it.
In 9th grade choir at Fruita Jr. High one of the songs we did was Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme.
An early boyfriend had a band...I think I may have mentioned this before. Anyway, he played a lot of CCR songs, so...when one of those comes on, I immediately think of him. He also used to sing Angel of the morning to me...BUT that doesn't come on as much as CCR...THANK goodness.
Dave liked Chicago.
For some reason, of which I have ABSOLUTELY no clue, I associate Without You by Nilsson to Dennis. I was a senior and he was a jr. We rode the same bus, and he was cute, but other than talk a few times, like I said, no clue why I associate this song with him. BUT I do.
In my jr. year English class with Mr. Yerxa, he had us "try to figure out" what Bob Dylan was writing about in the song Subterranean Homesick Blues.
Denny liked Eddie Rabbit's I Love a Rainy Night.
Bruce liked the House of the Rising Sun and The Letter (which I taped him singing in the shower!). I now relate the Low Rider song to him as that's the song that plays when he calls Jenny. There are MANY other songs that remind me of Bruce...Ally Oop. Beach Boys. Carpenters. And others.
Solitary Man reminds me of Bobby. BUT then so does Strangers in the Night. I don't know where he heard it or what, but there for awhile he was singing it. AND he does a GREAT White Christmas!!! Whenever we sing The Spirit of God, I think of him too.
There are songs that make me think of Mikey, but I'm not sure why. However, at his wedding he and I danced the mother/son dance to Brown Eyed Girl. So, I think of his and Katie's wedding when that comes on. Two songs from church are Armies of Helaman and Secret Prayer.
When I hear the song Tiny Dancer, I think of Jenny in her little pink tutu. I think she was about five or six years old. There are some from church that remind me of her...I'm Trying to be Like Jesus.
There are songs that remind me of Jessica, BUT I hear them at church. One of them is I Stand All Amazed. Another is Families Can Be Together Forever. I still remember her trying so hard one night to sing this song when she was in YW and they were doing some program. Tears streaming down her beautiful face. I cried with her. I knew what she was feeling...no one else had a clue.
Natalie Cole and Engelbert Humperdinck remind me of Doug, as well as the CD Greater Than Us All.
A Child's Prayer reminds me of Chelsea.
Johnny Cash songs, as well as a good corny joke, remind me of John Foley.
For some reason, in one of his lectures, Dr. Greiert told the class he liked the Rolling Stones. So, you guessed it...when the Stones come on, Dr. Greiert is there.
Dr. Trifan played in the band Blood, Sweat and Tears. So, when one of those songs comes on, I think of his lectures and him.
Odd stuff this music.
NOW to the other things I think of when certain songs come on! Monday, Monday should ONLY be played on Monday. Ruby Tuesday on Tuesday. Rain songs on rainy days. SUNNY...yes. On sunny days. Rainy Days and Mondays...on a rainy Monday. I'm sure you see where I am going with all of this. Play the appropriate song on the day it's about...or the weather. Whatever. Get it together.
So, these are my thoughts on this tonight.....

No comments:

Post a Comment