Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Gardens, life...food for thought on 25 April 2010

B.V. gave a talk in church today, mentioning a few things about his garden and life. Things I think I'm going to expand on.
I love to garden. I love digging in the dirt, planting seeds or plants, and watching them grow...hopefully. Gardening is something that involves FAITH. I have planted many gardens in my life. I had a garden when my children were growing. There are MANY things to be learned from gardening...and not just about sowing and reaping--vegetables, fruits and herbs...or what ever.
The first thing you need is the soil. Several gardeners I know have their own "special" dirt mixes. I have a recipe for soil. I got it from D. M. My son Mike also has his own recipe. WHICH seems to be working...Seeds need good soil. Without the proper soil, the seeds will not grow as intended. This is true in life also, as we read in the parable of the sower. Matthew 13:3-8 "...Behold, a sower went forth to sow; And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up: Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth: And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away. And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them: But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold." While this parable is in reference to hearing the word of GOD, the concept is the same.
You need good seeds too. Old seeds may not always germinate. Sometimes you can help the seeds along so they will germinate sooner. By placing them in water overnight, it softens the shell, husk, or pod, making it sprout sooner. Just as teaching a child from infancy will enable them to learn things easier when they start school
Planing depth is very important also. If you plant the seed too deep, the seed will take longer to appear...if indeed it does. Planting the seeds requires just the right depth. Not too deep or shallow. Same thing with life. If you give someone more information than they are ready for, getting too "deep," they may not understand what you are saying all.
Then comes the hard part. The waiting. While you wait, many things take place. Keeping the birds or cats from eating or digging up the seeds. I love birds AND cats, but they can undermine the best of plans. Just as Satan can undermine the good intentions of parents. There are also the dreaded WEEDS that will get into your garden...more of Satan's minions! If you don't keep up on them, they will overtake the precious plants you want to grow and choke them out. Satan will do the same thing with our children...and us. We must take care what we let grow in our lives. Some things look harmful, until they get overgrown and we ave become so used to them we no longer see the harm they are doing. GET the weeds while they are small. DON'T let them become overgrown!
Most gardeners do NOT want chemicals in their gardens. Preferring their vegetables, fruits and herbs to be "free" from contaminants. Yet in life, there are some who would contaminate their own bodies with drugs...whether it is alcohol, tobacco, drugs, etc. OR it could be other things. Idol worship...I'm not just talking about plastic or metal figurines. I'm talking about far more than that. These are things we put BEFORE our families, children, spouses...things like sports or sports figures, television shows, movies, work, movie stars, computer or video games, etc. I think you can see where this is going. I don't want anything unnatural taking over my garden any more than I want the unnatural taking over my life. I want to be in control. I don't want to be controlled. I want only what I plant in my garden. So, anything that comes up that isn't what should be there...is removed. I pull it out and get rid of it.
I do my best to protect my seedlings. I water, nurture, protect and care for that which I have planted. Much in the same way that I raised my children. You do everything you can to see that they grow and develop they way you intend them to. Just like in Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
In the end, you will be able to enjoy that which you have sowed. I have enjoyed many a garden, and I REALLY enjoy my children!
Since Mike and I have planted a garden, I will periodically add photos...he's already been eating some of the things we planted. Life is good!
Since I already have an album titled Mike's Herb Garden...you can check it out when I add more photos...shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment