Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Many Uses of Bamboo...23 February 2009

...yeah, that sounds like a great note! BUT...while doing the dishes this morning I was washing a bamboo spoon. I got to thinking about what a versatile plant bamboo really is! It is used for ALL kinds of things. It is actually a type of grass. Some of the things I know it is used for, that I came up with in the short time of doing the dishes, are:
Food--not only do we eat it, but the Great Panda's do as well. I'm sure other animals do to, but I'm not getting a grade for this, so no research has been involved...although I may do some just for fun.
Cooking utensils--I love cooking with bamboo spoons, etc. They are great kitchen tools. Kind of a nice paddle to tap little diapered butts too. :) Not hard, just a little tap. AND Chopsticks!!! For those of you who are in to them!
Furniture--There is a LOT of bamboo furniture out there. I even had some for awhile. Makes nice furniture for the lanai...for all of you haole's, that's a patio.
Writing and painting tools--Calligraphy pens and there are other pens that can be used to "paint" Chinese characters. This monk who came in to Michaels was telling me how easy it is, and I think I might like to give it a whirl!
Accessories--handles for handbags, purses, other bags. Picture frames.
Musical instruments--not only the instruments, but reeds for other woodwind instruments!
Baskets--what can I say?
Look at the stick of your umbrella??? OH wait...I bet you have one of those modern metal ones! Oh well.
Cages--I have a bamboo bird cage. It's in storage, but still in my possession.
Toys--I have, and have seen, many toys made from bamboo.
Ceiling fans--Those really cool ones!
Sadly, for all the GREAT things bamboo is used for, it is also used for horrible things...like torture. I have known several people who were tortured using bamboo. It's terrible.
Yes, Bamboo, I've decided, it probably one of the MOST versatile plants that God has created! I'm going to watch for other things made of Bamboo! Let me know if you find anything!
Other comments....
Flooring
Clothing
Bedding
Placemats!

No comments:

Post a Comment