Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I belong to the OLDEST, LARGEST Womens Organization in the world!

Well, it’s the end of the month and my visiting teaching isn’t done. I’m not feeling real well about this fact. I had intended to get it done the first week of the month, so that during the month I was free to phone when I felt so inspired, or send a note, or whatever…OH WAIT! There are some of you out there who have absolutely NO IDEA of what I am talking about. Let me give you a quick history…
Visiting Teaching is a commitment we as woman in the LDS church are responsible in doing. Now some people take this very seriously, and others, well let’s face it…sometimes we are slackers. Yes, I said it…we are slackers. Not because we don’t like the women we visit, not because we don’t want to, not because we don’t think it is important, not because we want to be slackers, we just have…yep…excuses! I will not bore you with all of them, nor will I use up that much space to add to your list. :) Oh…in case you didn’t know, LDS stands for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints…and YES we are also called, “The Mormons,” and YES we do believe in Christ…and YES we are Christians.
Visiting Teaching is part of the Relief Society Organization of the LDS Church. Here is some technical information I found online for those of you who are not a member of the Church and are still reading. Any thanks for continuing to read. :)
“The Relief Society is a philanthropic and educational women's organization and an official auxiliary organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). Founded in 1842 in Nauvoo, Illinois, USA, the Relief Society today claims more than 5.2 million members in over 170 countries and territories, and is one of the oldest and largest women's organizations in the world.[2] Relief Society - Worldwide charitable and educational organization of LDS women (founded 1842) [2] See List of women's organizations. The Relief Society is one of the largest women's organization in the world.”
By-the-way…I don’t know if you can click on the blue and it will take you to these sites, but if it does I’m thrilled. If not, send me a message and I will help you out. I will also answer any questions you may have.
On Thursday, March 17, 1842, twenty women gathered together in the upper room of the Red Brick Store (Nauvoo, Illinois), and under the direction of the prophet Joseph Smith, were organized into "The Female Relief Society of Nauvoo". Speaking of its purpose the prophet said that this "society of sisters might provoke the brethren to good works in looking to the wants of the poor. http://lds.about.com/library/weekly/previousyears/aa031400a.htm
The motto of the Relief Society, which is found in Moroni 7:46 as well as 1 Corinthians 13:8 is "Charity never faileth".
By 1888, the Relief Society had more than 22,000 members in 400 local wards and branches. The Womans Exponent was the official newspaper of the Relief Society (the womens organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) between 1876 and 1914.
Early Relief Society meetings were held semimonthly. One meeting per month was devoted to sewing and caring for the needs of the poor, and at the other meeting, members received instructions and encouragement from the discussion of elevating and educational themes and bore testimonies. The meeting recorded 16 March 1844 in the Female Relief Society Book of Records was the last meeting held in Nauvoo by the Society. At that time, the Society had grown from a membership of 18 to 1,341. In 1942, membership in the organization was approximately 115,000 women, growing to 300,000 members in 1966. Today, (2006) the Relief Society has 5.2 million female members in over 170 countries. http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Relief-Society
Okay…now that a little light and history has been shed on this subject, we will go back to the Visiting Teaching. The women or “sisters” as we liked to be referred to, in the ward are assigned “sisters” to visit. This is NOT some arbitrary thing. The Relief Society President prays about this and is inspired. “Sisters” are paired up as companions and they “visit” the “sisters” they have been given on their “beat.” ARE YOU CONFUSED YET!!! :) Not to worry. I have a companion, the first one ever. She is young enough to be my daughter, cute, newly married, a wedding planner, as well as a student. We have been assigned four “sisters” to look after. Each of those “sisters” has different schedules. SO, my partner and I try to see when we can go out together, then we see when our schedules fit into our “sisters’” schedules, and that’s when the FUN begins. It is a challenge that we deal with, but it is rewarding. I like visiting teaching because I love to visit. That is not all we are supposed to do. We are to lift, edify, teach, help, console, etc. when ever and how ever we can. I will try to give some examples of how visiting teaching has affected my own personal life.
When I had by babies, my visiting teachers brought over meals for several days.
When I was in the hospital, they brought meals to my family.
When I was in a wreck, they tended to my family…in and out of the hospital.
When I was struggling with family issues, they were there to help.
When I moved to a different state, my new ones took me to lunch in a quaint old Civil War town and we got to know each other.
When I was down for two weeks with kidney stones, my visiting teacher came over and brushed and braided my hair so it wasn’t such a mess.
When I moved this last time, my “sisters” helped me more than words can express; boxing, cleaning, loading, and providing food and showers.
The list is endless. Our “sisters” are just that…or should be. They become part of us. They become part of our lives. They have always been my emotional, spiritual, mental and physical helpers.
As I sit here at the end of the month, I have been contemplating all of this. No one makes us do this. If we don’t do it each month, no one will die over it…EGADS! I hope not anyway. But, I feel an obligation to them because I know they are my “sisters” and in some small way, I may be able to help them. So, here I am at the end of another month, wondering how I can improve. Hoping they don’t think ill of me…which I know they don’t. When you go out the first week of the month, there is a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. Then, many times during the month, when I think about these “sisters” and take the time to call them, a lot of the times they have needed me for one reason or another. But, I have found that the longer I put it off, the harder it is. AND again, it’s not because I don’t like them, because I do. The second week, you think, dang…I didn’t get it done last week. Well, I have time this week…I’ll get it done. Then the third week it’s like this dark cloud is following you…there is an ominous foreboding. (I wonder if that isn’t redundant!)
Anyway, meeting the needs of our “sisters” is the whole idea; helping as we can. We should take the time to serve and share our time and talents. My favorite thing to do is make treats and cute spiritual thoughts to take when I go.
I am so thankful to be a part of the oldest and largest women’s organization in the world. To know that there are “sisters” all over the world visiting teaching the “sisters” in their “wards” or “branches.” We have an incredible “sisterhood.”
A few weeks ago I participated in working at the “cannery.” Yes, this is yet another part of the Church. It is part of the welfare and humanitarian organization. This not only benefits people right here, but in other parts of the world. The Church truly is a worldwide organization, taking care of people all over the world. But, that is for another blog.
By the way, I’m sure there are things in here that have some of you, who are not members of the Church, scratching your heads. If you would like to know “Mormonism as a second language” just let me know. It’s fun and easy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment