Sunday, June 21, 2015

There seems to be a HUGE misunderstanding and possibly some confusion out there



There seems to be some type of misunderstanding and confusion in the masses. There are people who think and or believe that people who are “Christian” or “Religious” are perfect. This, in my opinion is COMPLETELY untrue, even wrong—at least as far as I’m concerned. This misunderstanding is becoming more and more apparent as life in this world becomes more and more hedonistic, wicked, evil, and even heathenish. Pick a word for it. Everyone questions what is going on. Christian or religious sects are being blamed for many things. I’m seeing where various groups and factions are in an uproar over whose rights are more important. I’m not going to go there. BUT I am going to talk about this “perfection” theory which seems to be abounding on all sides.
I was brought up in a Christian home; depending on the time and year, you could find us in various church buildings. My first introduction to religion was in the Church I chose to become a member of over 50 years ago; as I said, I attended many different churches of various beliefs well into my teens. All of these churches had many things in common. In fact, IF more people would take the time to find these comparisons instead of differences, they would probably be pleasantly surprised. I have been fascinated by religion all of my life; why some people choose one religion over another, AND the reasons for doing so, are as varied as the religions themselves.
I have found that in religion, whether it be Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, etc. you have the casual participants on one end and then the fanatics on the other, and everything in between, not to leave out many factions and off-shoots of all religions. In all of this, there is no one…absolutely NO one who is perfect. This is of course my opinion. I believe there was only one who was perfect; one who was so perfect, He and only He, could suffer the sins of ALL His brothers and sisters. Even those who do not believe in Him; and He seems fine with that. Granted, I have, over the years, run into people who “think” they are perfect. Let me confirm…they are not; nothing could be further from the truth. They are totally mistaken in their thinking; just as those who are not of any religious belief are wrong in thinking that every religious person “thinks” they are perfect. I do believe completely that we come close to perfection in some of the many aspects of Christianity; it could be forgiveness, listening, loving, caring, sharing, teaching, giving, compassion, charity, understanding or any other trait which can be perfected on over time.
As I said, this is my own opinion, my musings for today. So, what is a Christian? I know there’s a technical definition, one which is used by the norm. But to me, religion, faith and beliefs are a personal thing, defined by those who live them. So, what do I believe a Christian is? As a Christian, I believe it is someone who believes in and follows Christ. I believe it is someone who has taken the time or is taking the time to get to know who the Savior is, what he taught and what we need to do as followers. I believe that church buildings are “hospitals” for those wanting to be fixed from the “things” of the world. I do not believe a church is where perfect people go. At Church, I know I will be “fed” and uplifted. I will find solace from the cares of the world. I will learn how to be a better me. To me being a Christian is loving others as best as you can, striving hard to love more every day. It means listening when someone needs you to. It means forgiving; not only when it’s easy to do, but when it isn’t. It’s showing understanding of others…showing compassion and sharing what we have with others. It’s being thankful for what we have and knowing where what we have came from. It is praising God for blessing me so greatly. But it is not being perfect; just working towards becoming better each day…and maybe someday being as close to perfect as we possibly can in this life.
I believe it’s living your religion 24 hours a day. This isn’t just a Sunday thing…for me; it’s a 24 hour thing. IF I just lived it on Sunday’s, it would take much longer to get to that “best” benchmark.
When I see the actions of some of these who portray themselves as “Christians,” I am beside myself. I don’t even want to be grouped in with them. It is obvious to me that they do not believe in the same Christianity I believe in. I do not hate others. I may not like the behaviors of some, but I still love them, or try to. I do not understand the scriptures the way in which they are portraying them. Christ taught to love everyone, even your enemies. I personally don’t think He’s very happy with some of the actions of these “Christians,” yet I know He forgives them, loves them, and He suffered for what they are doing in His name…and I must do the same. BUT I am not perfect. Sometimes when I see things I believe are wrong, I forget that a loving Heavenly Father gave us the opportunity to make choices. I don’t always agree with the choices others make, but I respect their right to make those choices. It is a God-given right.
So, please don’t think that because we, Christians or other religions, enter a Church, Synagogue, or Mosque, etc. on Sunday or any other day of the week, it’s because we are perfect. We enter because we are trying to become the best we can be. We are working to overcome faults and imperfections we see in ourselves…
These are my beliefs and my opinions. There may be others out there who feel the same; trying to help others as we help ourselves. Please be patient…God isn’t done with us yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment