Sunday, June 28, 2015

Another Michaels story...

I have some very strong beliefs and they are important to me. I have the notion that everyone feels the same way about their beliefs.
Michaels gives three discounts...Military and CCSD Teachers...and AARP.
With that said...
...the other night a woman came up to the register next to the one I was running. She was putting her things on the counter and she wanted to know IF the CCSD tax exempt letter was on file as she didn't have it with her. She was told that you have to bring the letter in every time and fill out the form for the tax exempt advantage. Then she wanted the teacher discount...but didn't have her ID. I asked where she taught? A question I ask all of the CCSD teachers who come in wanting the discount. Just a way to get to know people who frequent the store, and a way to have something in common. Well, this is where I became irked. NOT because of where she worked, BUT because she was being dishonest and working the system. She said she taught at Lamb of God.
Maybe I was wrong, but "corporate" sets the rules...and "corporate" frequently breaks the rules...but they require us to "card" teachers to make sure they work for the CCSD; as that's who gets the discount. Same thing with JoAnn.
I guess I expect a certain level of honesty when you are dealing with a "religious" person. I expect a certain standard when a person is teaching children. AND no, this isn't the first time this has happened. I've lost count of the times people come in with tax exempt letters, and their business is a "church." Or the "tax exempt" people who are buying things for their family...and "work."
I find empty jewelry cards, which at one time had four or five crosses on them. What kind of religious person steals a cross? This is very perplexing to me.
I find all kinds of empty packages every night I work. I'm not the only one, everyone who does the go-backs and recovery at night finds things.
This is the downside of humanity. This is the part I hate about retail. This is the part which makes me question adults who are teaching their children it's okay to take things. No, I'm not impressed with people who yell at me, say derogatory things to me, question my intelligence because I work retail, or countless other things. It's the people who bring back merchandise they have used and lie about it, bring back merchandise that they have stolen...etc. It's just difficult to expect a higher standard from people.
Well, anyway, I'd love to see the purple hair...the spray painted baseball shirts...the "blinged" out camo shirt...
The entertainment part of the job is great! MOST of the people I talk to during a shift are great. AND my coworkers are fun and feel the same way I do. When I am telling them a story on the headset and they are laughing on the other side of the store...customers are puzzled as to what they are laughing at...makes a LONG evening fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment