Tuesday, August 6, 2024

The Story of the Wheelbarrow; it's Sentimental Value and Lessons

 6 August 2017

The Story of the Wheelbarrow; it's Sentimental Value and Lessons

As a newly, young married "woman" of 21, I received a wheelbarrow from my equally young husband. We hadn't quite been married a year yet. The struggle was real. We would walk the streets of Wichita Falls, Texas, looking for bottles to turn in for cash so we could buy gas so he could go to work. I walked to work. We were Air Force, and money was very tight. $300.00 a month. I would say, "IF only we made $100.00 more a month, it would be great." We ate a lot of hot dogs, biscuits and mac and cheese. Once a month, on payday, we would GO OUT to eat; the local Dairy Queen Brazier was where.

So, 11 months after we were married, we needed a wheelbarrow for a project at the rental house. It became my "birthday" present. Over the years, this wheelbarrow has been involved in my family in many ways. It's hauled dirt, manure, and had concrete mixed in it. It has been a "swimming hole" for my children when they were toddlers. It's hauled flowers from the car to the yard; the kids have given each other rides in it. It’s been part of wheelbarrow races.

A few weeks ago I was asked by my son why I don’t just get a new one and get rid of this one. When I said it had sentimental value, scoffs followed along with raucous laughter. Whatever…I’m old. A LOT of things have sentimental value…for just as many reasons.

During my short summer, this was one of my projects. I haven’t repainted it yet, but the wheel is fixed.
Somewhere I'm sure there is a picture of this when it was brand new. Somewhere there are pictures of two little blond girls “swimming” in it. The pictures are in albums in storage, but the memories are vivid in my brain.
The lessons learned…sometimes in life you struggle and sacrifice. You make ends meet somehow. IF all you get is a wheelbarrow, make the most of it. Remember the times when you couldn’t afford things. Remember how you got by and overcame the difficulties. We did make more than $100.00 more a month not long after that. We were more than able to buy gifts and go places. But I remember the struggles of those first years; working together to make things work. Not “wanting” more than was needful, taking care of certain things first, living within our means, and using a budget. I’m thankful now for the struggles and hard times. They help me appreciate how blessed I was then and now. So, yes, I’ve got sentimental attachments to a wheelbarrow. But it reminds me of a time when things were hard and we worked together. It reminds me of fun, crazy and happy times. NO, I’m not going to bronze it because I still use it. I took the wheel off and took it to Bobby, who helped get the old tire off and the new tire on. Then I brought the wheel home and put it back on. The leopard duct tape is just added style. I love my wheelbarrow. Love the memories and especially the lessons I’ve learned over the years from this wonderful gift.






No comments:

Post a Comment