Monday, July 20, 2015

Chasing some blues away with the grey skies and burros

I live in what most people call "THE Entertainment Capital of the World." I don't spend much of my time where the "entertainment" is though. In fact, I spend a lot of my time by myself doing what I do...which is my secret.
The clouds have looked promising for the last few days, and I've hoped and prayed for rain several times a day. Other than a splashing of drops yesterday evening, there hasn't been the deluge I've wanted.
I've been in a basically crappy mood today, not wanting to do anything. I could see the HUGE rain clouds to the west, but...SO, I decided IF the rain wasn't going to come to me, I'd go to the rain. I called my mom and asked if she wanted to take a drive. She did. So, I picked her up.
I had a couple of goals as I headed out.
1) to have a positive experience
2) to see Red Rock
3) find rain
4) find some wild burros
5) change my attitude
And so we were off...215 to Charleston and out the loop. We hit some rain for about a quarter of a mile. Not much; didn't even have to use my wipers. BUT...it was rain. We drove to Calico Basin...I reminisced about still wanting to build a house out there. It's so beautiful. Saw a guy with a beautiful blue Mastiff at Red Springs. Then we went back out to the loop and headed south towards Blue Diamond. Took a couple of turn-offs and didn't see much other than cactus, Joshua Tree type plants, and the normal desert flora. Just south of Bonnie Springs my eyes caught something! Low and behold...a small herd of burros!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!! OH the excitement of it. My gloom and doom attitude was changed in a matter of seconds. I was SO excited. My mom counted the herd at least a dozen times. Every time I got back in the car she reported there were 10. It was confirmed several times...10, ten, X. They were all about the same size and looked to be the same age. I could have walked with them and watched them for hours, but my travel companion lost interest.
We drove through the little town of Blue Diamond...several homes for sale, and a few lots. May check that out.
And so, while most people come to Vegas to see the excitement and entertainment of the wild life on the "Strip" and downtown, I thrive on the wildlife of the desert. I'm such a simple, easy person to please.
It's only 4:00 in the afternoon, and I've accomplished my 5 goals today. It's a GREAT day!





No comments:

Post a Comment