Saturday, May 4, 2013

Financial Roller Coaster

My parents lived during the depression. My mom was born in 1919 and my dad in 1920. Money was treated completely differently for them. If they saw the things I see at school everyday, they would both be aghast. I've seen students throw their coins in the trash because, "they aren't worth anything" or "don't want to bother with it".
My mother is still the miser, and rightfully so. Even though she doesn't need to watch and account for every penny, at the age of 94, she still balances her checkbook every month...to the penny. She knows where she spends every penny, and probably knows where she spent her first one.
So, as a child, I was taught the respect for money; I was taught to "pay myself" by saving 10%, give 10% and to always pay my bills. I was taught NOT to spend more than I made, and the difference between "NEEDS" and "WANTS". I was taught how to budget and the value of coupons and comparison shopping.
I did NOT receive an "allowance". I did have "jobs" I was expected to do, just for the privileged of living in the home. We were a family and everyone was expected to help make that family and home run smoothly.
All of these teachings have been very valuable to me. When the kids were growing up, they helped make up the monthly menu, helped make the grocery list, and went to the market; each had a shopping cart. One for meats and produce, one for dairy and cold things, one for canned and dry goods, and one had the miscellaneous items. We shopped once a month for the majority of the groceries, BUT we made trips to the market during the week for milk and bread. They went through two gallons of milk a day, and I swore I was going to buy a cow, but never did. When we got home, they helped bring everything in and put it away.
When times were lean, I've known what I can do with out. Because of the things I learned as a child, when there were hard times, I've survived. In the summer, I keep the thermostat at 78 to 80 degrees and turn the fan on; in the winter, I keep the heater set at 68ish and put more blankets on the bed and keep a hoodie on. I have learned the value of paying yourself. Having a savings has come in quite handy over the years.
The biggest blessing is the giving of 10% in tithing. I have done this since I was about 10 years old and started babysitting. I can't even count the times I have been blessed by obeying this principle. In the scriptures, in Malachi 3:10, I learned: "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." I can tell you this is true. I have been blessed over, and over, and over again...countless times. Even though I keep my ledger up to date and balance my statement; you can NOT do all that I had to do to raise four children and make ends meet with what I had. Many unexpected "things" happened. Many blessings came our way. We were blessed continually.

No comments:

Post a Comment