Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Teachers DO NOT expect students to spend exorbitant amounts of money on class projects 23 September 2015

Holy Mackerel.
The first customer tonight clearly should have planned ahead. Clearly. The first thing she wanted was spray paint. Clear Coat...as many cans as you have. I tell her, "We have 21 cans..." She says, "Well, just get me half a dozen." So, I get them. Then she says she's looked all over the store for the button magnets. I walk over to the magnet section. There are two pegs which are empty, and so I scan them. They are the neodymium button magnets, and I was guessing these were probably the ones she was looking for. Probably. I scanned the tag holder. 21. Hmmm....checking out the overstock boxes. I see two possible boxes. Off to find a ladder. She's getting impatient as I'm trying to help her. Actually, she's getting downright rude. "Where are they?" "Why don't you keep them down here?" "Why are they in boxes?" Hmmmm....clearly she doesn't do this type of work. I find the ladder and check the boxes. Nope...She's m load. AND she says to me. "Where can I get some?" I suggest Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc. She says she's been to all of them. She says, "I need these in 15 minutes. What are you going to do to get them?" I'm thinking...first of all woman, you should have taken your emergency to the hospital, because this isn't my emergency. Second, a month from now, you won't even care about the magnets. Third, if you need them in 15 minutes, you're beat. She asks if the other Michaels' have them? They might, but we'll have to call. She is ranting. I'm called to the register, and one of the assistant managers calls the Eastern store. After about 15 minutes of checking she finds some for said woman, who walked off and didn't even bother to say thank you. WOW!
I'm at the register and this woman brings up some Wilton things to bake a cake. Two 12" X 3", one of which is dented. She wants to "buy it, use it and then just return it because it's damaged." Ummmm.....no. I'll go get another. Which I do. But she continues to tell me she's going to return them anyway. WOW!
Then a woman brought in some journals and wanted an adjustment. She said she was "overcharged" for 15 and didn't get them...at the Rainbow and 215 store! Ummmm....you're going to have to go back there and take it up with them. They made the mistake.
Then there was the young guy with a cute little baby girl in a stroller. I'm guessing about 8 months. He was out shopping for his wife. She bought some pink glitter tulle, and when they opened it, glitter got all over the baby and she wanted him to exchange it for the glitter-less tulle. Mind you, glitter is ALL over the store right now. Between the Halloween stuff and the Christmas stuff, we are all covered with glitter. Even the inside of my car and my cat have glitter. But I see we might have some in the overstock, so off to get the ladder. I"m thinking I should just find some way to drag it around with me. I did find some and he was happy. Then he said his wife wanted some poster, the kind that "starts with an"R". I'm not sure what it is, but I'm sure she said it starts with an "R". We are all racking our brains. I don't know if he called her or what, but guess what. She wanted FELT. NO "R" in that. BUT we gave him credit for shopping for his wife, with the baby.
Then the cashier asked about people bringing guns into the store. It was in a holster. Asst. mgr. said that's fine as long as it's in the holster and they aren't waving it around. I was fine with it.
Several parents were there getting supplies for "projects those %&$#* teachers are having my kid do." WOW! Okay. Do I tell them I work at a middle school? Do I tell them I know hundreds of teachers who assign projects? Do I tell them that I have yet to meet a teacher who requires you to spend UNBELIEVABLE amounts of money on these projects?!?!?!? Depends on the people, if the student is with them, their attitude, etc. This one woman was downright rude about this teacher...so, there wasn't much sympathy from me. She didn't have said child with her, so this project which was supposed to be a drawing of a ten room habitat of some sort, with the rooms labeled, etc. turned into this wooden castle which opens up (about $40.00) and a myriad of other things. Total for this school project--a WHOPPING $163.47!!!! When my children were in school and doing projects, i NEVER spent that kind of money!!!!!! We went through stuff at home or figured out something. There were other projects too, but this was the most expensive. Most were around $50.00, which is still more than I would do.
Then this woman who "always buys flowers here" and "is a GREAT customer" wanted to exchange some flowers she bought in the spring...because they have black dots on them...Hmmmmm....NOT!
At 8:45 the line was long, many shoppers still coming in and still shopping. One guy didn't have enough money and needed to go and ask someone for more. The lights are out as it's after 9, and people in line are impatient. So am I...it's 9:07 and no one should be in line...but they are. OHHHHH....it was a long night. I'm glad that I've always worked with great people. Most of the customers were "sorry" to keep us late. I always wonder about that. When you come in to a store four minutes before it closes?
Such is life. Bobby came in. I love my children and love seeing them. That hug and kiss go a long way. I asked to borrow something from him...as usual, he was more than willing to help me out.
Bedtime...5AM comes early...

No comments:

Post a Comment