Friday, December 27, 2013

The Agony and Excess of Having Things in Storage!!!

Since walking away from my home in Missouri in June of 2008, most ALL of my things have been in storage in Utah; most of it in a storage unit almost 400 miles from me. Difficult to just "run right over" and get what I want out. Nevertheless...that's the situation with that. Not a day goes by that I don't wish I had one thing or another, OR several things with me here. There are also those things which I know are in there, which I have decided will go into a MASSIVE garage/yard sale once I have my things with me. AND there are those things which belong to my children. Those things will be put for them to decide what they want to do with them. We'll see. One "man cub" insists, with complete asurety that there is "nothing I want in there"...we'll see. More on that later I'm sure. I believe he doesn't remember certain things which I KNOW he does want and would probably fight for it. Like I said, more on that at a later date.
When I did get back to Vegas in August of 2008, I had very little. Some clothes, plants, canned goods, baking and cooking items, dog...cat...and that's about it. I "thought"...and yes, I know what thought thought...that the time between moving and selling my home would be brief. Meaning a few months. However, my home in Missouri did not sell until the end of January 2012. In that time I moved from my youngest daughter's home to a rental home, back to her home, then to my oldest daughter's home...which is where I have been since March of 2012. I thought my stay here would be brief as well as all of the other places...firmly believing that I would be in my own home soon with my things living happily ever after. I was so sure that I would be in a home by this Christmas (2013) as the offer I'd made on a home had been accepted. Then the dreaded call came...and I was devastated.
So, I swore I would not, absolutely NOT, buy anything I had in storage...well, that lasted about two years. I bought new paints, brushes, crochet hooks and knitting needles. I bought clothes and shoes. I bought baking pans and various things. ONLY to have to put them in another storage unit here, because there wasn't much room where I am. SOOOOOOOOOOOO...here we go again.
Well, with the new year coming, I decided to take inventory of things in my kitchen...which consists of six boxes. They are herbs, spices, baking things, etc. WOW!!! The vast collection was indeed overwhelming.
Now, while this may not look like much, and no big deal, I hate buying things I already have. SO, in checking out everything and taking inventory, I found this...
 ...two celery salt, three chili powders...
 ...two ground cinnamon, two bottles of whole cloves...two cream of tarter, two bottles of crushed red peppers...
 ...two bottles of curry powder...one is HOT...two bottles of garlic salt and two of ground ginger...
 ...four bottles of Italian seasoning, and two bottles of mustard seed...
 ...two bottles of paprika AND FIVE bottles of parsley flakes....four of ground pepper and one coarse black pepper...
...three poultry season, two bottles of sesame seeds and five turmeric containers!!!!!!!!!! This inventory doesn't include the behind the scenes bottles of season salt, garlic pepper, lemon pepper, bottles of vanilla, boxes of soda and tins of baking powder. There were also five or six containers of beef bouillon as well. It is safe to say I have at LEAST a years supply of some of these things, and others a five year supply!!! I also found a couple of bottles of Balsamic Vinegar, apple cider vinegar and olive oil. I wonder if I can make some sort of salad dressing concoction?!?!?!
I spent about half an hour combining half full bottles and boxes; getting rid of some things and just sloughing off the excess.
I am praying THIS will be the year to move in to my own home, have my own things, be able to use ALL of what I have; to use my talents, abilities, inventory, etc. to benefit myself and others. It may not be through food all the time. It might be something else. Only time will tell. News at eleven!

No comments:

Post a Comment